Welcome

This blog is no longer being updated, but if you like what you see here, be sure to join me over at Life Pared Down!

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Show and Tell: A Different Light

How often does the natural world around us reflect our inner state? Or is it that we see in nature what we feel inside? I have regaled everyone lately with tales of the ever changing weather here in Vancouver. Yes, we Canadians like to talk about our weather. ;)

And today is no different. For the last week Vancouver has existed in a fog bank. It will lift a little during the day and settle right back as evening approaches. There's something about the fog lately that has touched me deeply. Maybe it's that the aniversaries, birthdays and fake pregnancy symptoms(thank you progesterone) that made me so melancholy these last days have also allowed me to be more reflective lately (if that's possible).

The fog has been so very reflective of my mood. Dense and impenetrable, the fog masks everything on the inside so that on the outside, everything is blank, unseen. People on the outside look towards the fog, see the blankness, not realizing the churning emotions on the inside. The passions that erupt over the simplest things. The things that those who never never felt the ache of empty arms can ever comprehend or imagine. And yet they are they hidden in the fog.

But the thing about fog is that it's never the same. It comes and goes, becomes thinner and more transparent. It lends itself to letting others in. Kind souls who'll offer an encouraging word or a hug.

This has been my fog this week. It had closed me in in my grief for awhile but also allowed some truly lovely people to poke me back into reality a little. Thank you. The other wonderful thing about the fog is that it allows you to see things in different ways. Everyday things like trees and street lights take on a different ambience. They show themselves in different ways.

Sort of like people too.






Don't forget to walk Mel's way and see what others are showing today...

20 comments:

Kristin said...

Lovely pictures and a wonderful analogy!

'Murgdan' said...

I love the last picture...beautiful.

bunny said...

beautiful pictures, beautiful post. i've always been drawn to magical transformation of mist and fog.

Lori Lavender Luz said...

The photos are eery and full of mystery. That's a mood that's familiar to me, too.

I would love to paint pots with you. I hope to make it to Vancouver later this year, so maybe we can at least DRINK out of some pottery.

I really like your analogy.

Sam said...

what an interesting analogy. I love the way we can find different ways of looking at things.

Photogrl said...

Great analogy. Grief is so much like fog, especially as time goes on.

Love the pictures.

areyoukiddingme said...

Excellent pictures. I do hope the fog lifts...

Megan said...

Those pictures are hauntingly beautiful.

GINA and KEV said...

I especially like the last photo.

Cara said...

I love the second picture, at dusk. What a clear vision of the hope we all have represented by lights.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

the misfit said...

Those are beautiful pictures.

Beautiful Mess said...

Beautiful pictures! I, also kn ow how the weather can reflect how I feel. The fog has lifted where I live ,as well as my spirit.
Enjoy your day,
-D

Dora said...

Beautiful post. Gorgeous pictures.

The churning inside the fog. Oh, yes!

AnotherDreamer said...

Wow, those are beautiful photos to go with one beautiful reflective post.

Anonymous said...

What an amazing way to think of fog.

As a fellow Canadian, I agree - we talk about weather amazingly often ;)

Baby Smiling In Back Seat said...

Beautiful photos. #3 is my favorite.

..al said...

Beautiful photographs...and yes, fogs mesmerise me as well. I find them romantic. I like the last photo....night time, lights and a desolate pathway...perfect!

The post has turned out well!

In Due Time said...

Fog scares the shit out of me for some reason.

Thanks for sharing and stopping by.

FattyPants said...

Those pictures are eerie and beautiful at the same time. Thank you for sharing them with us.

luna said...

I love this post and the analogy. gorgeous pictures too.