Welcome

This blog is no longer being updated, but if you like what you see here, be sure to join me over at Life Pared Down!

Friday, January 09, 2009

The Itchy and Scratchy Show

I've mostly stopped itching.

My boss took myself, my manager, our receptionist and another assistant out to lunch at The Keg. Great lunch, great company. About five minutes after we got back to the office (we're a five minute walk away), my face went bright red and started to burn. I started to get all blotchy in my chest area. And then I start to itch like crazy. My face and chest, then ears, then arms, fingers and (now as it's mostly faded away) my knees and lower legs. AHHH!!!

Oh crap, I'm having a stupid allergic reaction! I get this with alcohol and it's actually not an allergy as much as an intolerance. But I don't have any known allergies. Sigh.

But since I could be pregnant and can't take most meds, I can't take Ben.adryl or most other antihistamines (I looked it up and it's iffy). So I quickly researched the matter with Dr.Google and discovered that green tea has natural antihistamines! Great, sign me up.

I'm almost done 2 large mug-fulls and while I have traces of the reaction, it's simmered down to a background irritation rather than the panic inducing burn and itch. Good thing I actually like green tea...

6 comments:

Claire said...

That sounds just like my niacin rush! Still taking your B vitamins? That can cause it.

..al said...

Oh....glad that it is tempering down. Take Care!

bunny said...

just throwing it out there, but the one time i was pregnant i had a similar itchy episode. my drs attributed it to a reaction to progesterone, but who knows, it could be a good sign. I had taken progesterone with other cycles and had never had a reaction like that.

Susan said...

Oooh...great tip! I'll share with my teenage sons who can have problems (no with food, but other stuff).

AnotherDreamer said...

ye-OUCHers. Glad the green tea helped some! Do you remember what you ate at lunch? Anything you've never had before?

Kim said...

Egads. That sounsd like exactly liek the opposite of fun. The green tea is a great tip though. I have food allergies and all the good antihistamines knock me out. I will definately try this.