I am typing this with my left hand and the ring finger on my right hand. I had glorious plans to be eating homemade scottish shortbread this evening. Plans that have since gone awry.
No less than two minutes into the oven and I start smelling something like a lit candle. I turn around and open the oven and smoke starts pouring out! I turn on the overhead fan, grab the potholder and reach for the pans all in the space of a second. The potholder slips a little and instead of the cloth acting as a protective layer between the hot pan and my fingers, the pads of my index finger and middle finger are now grasping the baking sheet. The stupid thing was that it took a moment for it to register before I threw the pan on the top of the stove and reached for the the second pan. A moment to long to be good news.
I run over to the balcony and whip the sliding door wide open. It's freezing (literally) and snowing quite heavily. I run back and grab a couple pillows just in time for the two smoke alarms (conveniently located on either side of my tiny kitchen) to go off. I fan both of them and within 30 seconds, the incessant sounds turn off.
The smoke having cleared the place, I close the blacony door and go back to the kitchen to figure out what the hell went wrong. As it turns out, while wax paper apparently works great in the microwave, it's a bad idea in the oven. Hmmm, I think I missed that note somewhere... (this is where you get to LOL at the would-be Martha)
Four hours later, my fingers now longer need to be on ice. All I can say is that deep burns (however small) hurt like HELL! And they leave big white blisters.
But in the grand scheme of things, it came down to my fingers or saving my apartment from fire. Hmmm, very tricky choice...
Is it bad that I'm still pouting because I really, really want my shortbread now? I can almost taste them. Gods I'm hungry