Welcome

This blog is no longer being updated, but if you like what you see here, be sure to join me over at Life Pared Down!

Monday, February 08, 2010

Stuck in the Past

I just spent a two hour session with my mom on the phone working our way through our family tree on ancestry.com. We're HUGE into geneaology. I love researching things and solving puzzles. Some interesting facts:

-Currently, our farthest relation was born in 1250. Norman familiy. Hubby came home and when I told him this, he asked if anyone if the family was in the Crusades. Who knows...

-The above line goes back 17 generations (I counted). I'm the 18th.

-I am related to Captain William Bligh, of the Bounty fame. It's a big family so lots of people can also claim this. I'm his 5th great-grandaughter. However, the current puzzle is figuring out what his great-grandaughter's name is as she's our link. Interesting challenge.

-There is more Scottish blood on my Dad's side than there are clans in Scotland. Well, not really, but each line seems to end up being Scottish.

-My mom's side is really interesting. Her maternal side are German-Russians from a place called Bessarabia- an area between Romania and the Ukraine now called Moldova. Some really fascinating history there. We've been able to go back 10 generations, I think, but we've been finding more hints, so there is more work to be done.

But I think it's time to revert to the present and get myself some sleep. Hoping I can sleep through the night. My body is adjusting to the new medication but we're not quite there yet. More on that tomorrow.

6 comments:

..al said...

How superbly interesting.....

P.S. I love your new header....are they cherry blossoms?

Kristin said...

I love genealogy. My family hasn't been traced back nearly that far though.

areyoukiddingme said...

I wish I had that kind of information on my family. I did find some records that indicate that one of my great-grandparents came from Ireland via Canada, so I guess I can claim that I'm part Canadian!

Amy said...

Very interesting...can I ask how you found all that info? I was on ancestry a few years back and it seemed everything stopped once I got out of the US. Maybe I just didn't have the right subscription? I'd love to chat with you about how you go about your searches..

Quiet Dreams said...

Fascinating. I don't have family history past a few generations. I am so impressed (and I love the photo in the header, as well).

Sherrie {Bird Lady} said...

I too have been doing some genealogy and have ancestors that are Germans who settled in Russia and then immigrated to Kansas. I have their picture hanging in my home. Addicting and fun!