Welcome

This blog is no longer being updated, but if you like what you see here, be sure to join me over at Life Pared Down!

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Mexican Jumping Bean

So here we are, Wednesday already. I'm watching American Idol (who's going home?!?) and then America's Next Top Model. I know, I know... but they're guilty pleasures.

So, my weekend. It was great! It was a rush trying to get out of the office on time to catch my buses and the ferry but I managed it! Had the loveliest weekend visiting my mom and some family and friends. Got to hold my 4 week old 2nd cousin (so adorable!) and it was quite lovely.

It struck me as I was on the bus coming into town. Sometimes, I can't tell if it's the city that's changed so much (which it has) or if it's myself who's changed. I know it's a bit of both but I was struck by how my perspective has changed over the years. I've been in Vancouver for 4 years now (!) after living in Victoria for 8. As we drove down the main road I began to notice how, I don't know, "worn" the city looked. I mean, it just seemed that the homelessness and "grit" of the city was much more in your face. I think it has a lot to do with a city that growing so quickly and the bad economy making bad situations worse.

But there are beautiful things in Victoria. And places. And it's still holds a very place in my heart. It's just strange to see the changes. Maybe it's the perspective of impending parenthood that is making me look at things closer, more critically. I'm not sure.

Meanwhile, Bean in kicking up a storm. RED ALERT! We've got one active baby here folks. Maybe a swimmer or dancer or althete. Who knows! But it's amazing and still quite distracting since even the kicks are still light enough that it can tickle. Still makes me laugh... aloud! lol.

Somehow I can actually begin to picture holding this tiny creature who's taken over our lives. And it amazes me and scares me all at once.

Tomorrow is 18 weeks and you know what that means... another belly pic. Till tomorrow...

4 comments:

Mrs. Gamgee said...

I am so happy that the positive hopes are starting to outweigh the worries for you! Blessings on you and your active little bean!

Kristin said...

Isn't that just the most amazing feeling in the world? Those kicks are wild but even weirder is when they get hiccups.

areyoukiddingme said...

It's so strange to go "home" and see how things change - it's not always for the better. But you hold the place a certain way in your head, and it's always surprising to see how different it is.

Enjoy the little flutter kicks. That baby will be growing like crazy, and those kicks will take on new and interesting dimensions. But those tiny movements...they're the best part.

AnotherDreamer said...

OOOOOooOoOoo! 18wks, so exciting. You're getting so far along. So glad for your little active bean.