Welcome

This blog is no longer being updated, but if you like what you see here, be sure to join me over at Life Pared Down!

Monday, April 23, 2012

Small Things and Imaginings

Ahhhh, a new week!

Like the rain that came in and swept things clean, I have now enjoyed two night of good sleep, which means things are calming down and my body is calling off the red alert.

I actually, get this, went over to a friends house for lunch! I have to blink when I read that since it seems somehow odd and strange. Me? A friend I can visit? Really? But it's true! After coaxing K into her boots and jacket, and her opting to get into the stroller, we crossed the West End in a respectable twenty minute walk through some bitterly cold wind and hints of warm sunshine.

Now, my area has some smaller neighbourhoods in it and there are a range of prices. Typically though, we're a bit more expensive as far as housing costs go. We lucked out and the furnished flat we let (rent) is a bit less expensive than it might be. There are reasons for this, as I've discovered, but the realities are that we are unlikely to move until we move to Oxford next year. It's just the way it is.

Now, on the north side of the west end is a really nice area I'd love to live in. That's where my friend lives. Walking up to the lovely traditional terraced houses, I couldn't help but be envious of the small gardening spaces and the resident's garden in the middle of the crescent.

Their place is one of those ones that makes my interior decorator side go 'Oh!' It's so hard not to ogle the intricate Victorian mouldings on the ceiling. Now, they're busy parents of a 2 year old and a 5 month old baby, and they only moved in a year ago, so they haven't had much time to do anything with the place. It was all I could do not to jump up and down and say "I'll help!" if only to be able to imagine what decorating a space like that would be like.

I don't begrudge them their larger and beautiful space. They are both working professionals and have had their ups and downs. But hey, I can imagine a slightly larger (3rd bedroom anyone?) flat with cheap furniture that isn't twenty or thirty years old and falling apart. Certainly it would be nice not to have the bathtub sink a little at the drain end when I get into it. Did you hear that? Yeah, it comes away from the seal a bit. And yes, my letting agent knows. Apparently he's going to get a plumber in to look over everything and hopefully ease my fears about mould and rotting floors… sometime. I don't expect these things to happen very quickly anymore. This sounds very familiar to the time my house tried to kill me. But that's another story.

For now, I'm looking forward to next month when we hopefully have a small amount of money in which to print some of photographs, buy some cheap frames and make this place just a tiny bit ours for another year.

7 comments:

Mrs. Gamgee said...

Oh, a third bedroom! Wouldn't that be a wonderful thing? :)

I think it's human nature to dream of bigger and better... even when we are exceedingly grateful for what we have.

I would love to have that extra bedroom, a real laundry room (not a laundry closet), and maybe even a family room. And if I'm really dreaming, a big bright kitchen. *sigh*

I'm so glad to hear that you were able to get out and connect with others!

areyoukiddingme said...

Renting a furnished place has to be difficult at best! I hope your bath doesn't crash through the floor. Maybe you CAN vicariously decorate your friend's place...

St Elsewhere said...

Glad for the visit at your friend's.

I would have right out noticed the gardens and parks and all that.

Oh well, we have a third bedroom, but we are still on with the cheap furniture, coz of several reasons.

Hang on/Daydream/Change it!

#24

"Alone again.... naturally!" said...

I like what the last person said...Hang on, daydream, change it. Or as I like to say, appreciate everything, be grateful and changes will come! Soon, girlie, soon!

christine said...

I often find myself having house envy. My hubby bought our house before I knew him and I would just LOVE a house without projects lying about.

Best of luck on doing a little here and there to make your rental feel more like home. I love Pinterest for design inspiration :).

ICLW #95

Anonymous said...

Hey there, I'm here from ICLW. I love, love, love the old homes, and I can't wait to move into one with many bedrooms!

MoonNStarMommy said...

I have always wanted to get an older fixer-upper house - Victorian - and fix it up.... ahhh amazing....

Perusing your blog via ICLW (#86)