Welcome

This blog is no longer being updated, but if you like what you see here, be sure to join me over at Life Pared Down!

Friday, June 22, 2012

The Beauty of a Storm

Well, the weather forecast predicted heavy rain, and I suppose I can give them props for calling it right this time. As I was coming home from the Friday toddler group I attend, I couldn't help but notice how heavy the air was with humidity. It was raining, well, misting a little really, and I thought how it could potentially cause a thunderstorm.

I hated thunderstorms as a child. My most vivid memory is this one storm that really sounded like a train had collided with the house as it was passing along. Having grown up in a community smack dab in an agricultural region I was used to the heavy noise of a train.

This scared the hell out of me.

I vaguely remember crying and my mom coming in to comfort us (I shared a room with my younger brother then).

Now, thunderstorms don't exactly scare me, but they sure do get my heart racing. But this time, when that flash of lightning occurs, I wait with anticipation to see whereabouts it is, using the 1second= 1 kilometre rule. That moment when the horrifically loud clap sounds over your head and rattles your home immediately after the flash is thrilling at the same time as it's a little terrifying. I mean, you know what it is, so you can't really be scared, but I suppose it's the same adrenaline rush that causes people to want to watch horror films.

Inevitably though, there is a build up of pressure and the clouds just burst, pounding everything in rain. And even when you think it can't get any harder, it does, saturating everything and bouncing hard off of every surface. Sometimes it hails, sometimes it doesn't.

It passes and then the calm returns and the world seems that much more quiet, peaceful.


I should note that this was a particularly loud storm. K slept right through it.

2 comments:

areyoukiddingme said...

We live in an area that is prone to violent thunderstorms. My daughter hates the thunder, although she sleeps through it sometimes. I love to watch the storms come through - there's such a wild energy to them. Awe-inspiring nature at its most powerful...

"Alone again.... naturally!" said...

I'm glad she slept through it! It's been awhile since we've heard anything like that....remember when we were at the hotel out in Sidney, when we moved back here, and Dad felt the hair raise up on his arms just as a big flash and crack followed really close to him! I bet he won't ever forget that one!