Welcome

This blog is no longer being updated, but if you like what you see here, be sure to join me over at Life Pared Down!

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

A Weekend of Surprises (Part 1) & ICLW

If it wasn't for Mel's email reminder, I'd have completely forgotten about ICLW. The fact that this is my first month participating since March is quite the miracle. I had been so tired most evenings that trying to keep up with my regular reading list was challenging enough in the earlier months of my pregnancy. Even though I'm slowing down again in my third trimester, I can at least stay awake past 9 pm should I choose to. It's quite novel but I'm not expecting it to last.

For those of you visiting my blog for the first time from ICLW, welcome! My story is on the sidebar. It's not a simple one. As I declared in my topics that I write about in my signup, I'm pregnant. If you need to run away, now is the time to do so. __________________________________________

This past weekend was something else, let me tell you! R and I went over to visit my parents. I haven't seen my Dad since I was 10 weeks pregnant, so I knew he was going to be in for quite a shock when he saw me. My Mom I saw last month, but knew she'd be surprised at how big I've gotten.

My Dad picked us up at the ferry and drove us back to the condo. We go inside and I take off my sandals. I turn around expecting to see my Mom there, but instead of her is this freakin' tall guy smirking at me. My jaw dropped and I think I swore (in fact I'm sure I did). It was my brother.

Now you have to understand that a week after we got married in Sept 2007, he moved to Australia to get some different work experience. He's a chef and was looking to broaden his horizons. I think also that a girl had something to do with it but that was a long time ago. ;) He came home for three weeks last August and I saw him for a few days.

In any case, after some more stunned swearing (I normally don't swear all that much, really), we all go sit down and R and I finally get the story. I knew he hadn't been happy in his job and that he couldn't leave it because he had a sponsored visa. Unless he was willing to fork over $2000 to apply for a "permanent" 5 year visa, he was stuck in that job. He decided he didn't want to be. He also said that I was a part of it. I think he really missed being a part of my pregnancy and wants to be around to meet his niece. Although he wouldn't admit it, he had broken up with the girl he was seeing in June (see was an exchange student and had to go home), and I'm pretty sure that was the final straw.

Regardless of the reasons, I am so happy he's home for good. But if you think I was surprised, you should hear what he did to my Mom!

You see, he planned to come home a month ago. He saw a cheap one-way flight and booked it. And didn't tell anyone except for a few friends who helped smuggle him home.

He had told my Mom a couple of weeks ago that she HAD to be home because he was calling on a certain day. Now, ordering your Mom around usually doesn't go over very well, but since she didn't have anywhere she had to be, she was home. While waiting for him to call, the condo buzzer rings. She doesn't answer unless she's expecting someone, and since she wasn't, she didn't pick up. She did turn on the TV to the security camera channel in time to see two legs walking away. Oh well.

30 seconds later the phone rings. International call. She knows it's him calling like he said he would. They chat for a few minutes when all of a sudden, he says, "so, are you going to let me in?"

"Was that f-n you at the door?" she says shocked.

Suffice to say she let him in. Two of his friends are in tow, dragging his mass amounts of luggage behind him. My Mom, still stunned, is wondering what the heck is going on when he tells her, "I'm home for good and don't worry I have a job!"

Good thing she has a second bedroom for him to sleep in until he can get his own place.

We spent the rest of the evening catching up. The family all together again.

The rest of my surprised filled weekend tomorrow...

7 comments:

Mrs. Gamgee said...

Wow! Did you give him crap for surprising a pregnant woman?

BTW, I recall you mentioning a while back that you had family in K-town (R's family I think?)... Are their homes at risk?

Dave said...

Holy crap Linds! That is exciting... I think I have an idea about Part II, but I will keep reading...

D.

Kristin said...

OMG what a wonderful, fabulous surprise!

areyoukiddingme said...

What a wonderful surprise - did you threaten to go into labor at the shock?

cowboyboot lady said...

Awesome surprise from your brother! Very cool! Enjoy your time with him!

Anonymous said...

how fantastic for your family to have your brother home, what a wonderful surprise for everyone.

Kerri said...

Aw, that's so sweet that your brother surprised your mom like that! And I bet you're so glad he's home. I miss my little brother all of the time and wish he lived closer during this pregnancy and especially when the baby comes.