This blog is no longer being updated, but if you like what you see here, be sure to join me over at Life Pared Down!

Sunday, January 21, 2007

And January was going so well...

So on Friday afternoon before class I had written the really long blog entry only to have the computer screw up and erase it. Lovely. So here is roughly what I wrote:

So all week we had been having problems with our telephone line because Telus was adjusting our service. Suffice to say that some idiot at their head office in Calgary didn't flick the switch so had no line whatsoever.

So my Mom calls my cell phone on Friday morning. I was at work and I heard it ring in my purse, which was in my filing cabinet. Surprised to hear it (I had forgotten to turn it off the night before), I picked it up and saw that it was my Mom.

She had been trying to get a hold of me all morning at home and decided to try my cell. Turns out that she had gotten a call from my Grandma in Nelson telling her that my Grandfather (my dad's dad) had died.

He had gone in for hip surgery on Tuesday and it went pretty well. But later he went into cardiac arrest and then after stabilizing him, moved him to the ICU. I guess sometime late on Thursday, he went into arrest again and they couldn't do anything more. They are going to do an autopsy to confirm cause of death and then I guess we'll know what happened.

When I talked to my Mom that morning, she hadn't been able to get a hold of my Dad to let him know. But later that day, she finally did connect with him. He called his Mom, who was very understanding of the fact that he isn't able to leave the camp right now. But everything is okay. They are having my grandpa cremated and then there will be a memorial service in the spring when my Dad gets back. Which means that we'll all be able to go.

On Friday when I was writing out my blog I was so full of confusion and I think even anger. I mean, things had been going so well these last weeks and I was feeling content with the world. It would be nice for a change if I could go more than a couple of months without there being some big dramatic event or crisis.

I guess I never really considered how hard it is to be an optimist. It involves getting back up whenever you're knocked on your ass. But when your constantly knocked down, sometimes you don't even have a chance to get halfway back up before the next blow comes.

I guess in this recent case,according to the new motto, it was okay to be an optimist because I did get to cry later. But where does that leave a person the day after that?

Anyway, in other news, I am coming over to the island next weekend. I'm on the 9am ferry on Saturday and I go home Monday. If anyone is free and liked to get together, let me know.

Here's hoping these next days are better...

1 comment:

Claire said...

I know you and your grandfather weren't close Linds, but that kinda news still kicks you in the ass. I don't have any words of advice except that as an optimist you just have to hope that the next day will be better. I'm up for coffee next weekend. Let's set up a time.